Vintage Chevrolet Video from 1976

February 23, 2012

Check out this video of "Chevrolet" from the Worldwide Texas Tour in 1976.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1-q6WHxA4E&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy,
Sr. Volto

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: Vintage Chevrolet Video from 1976

February 23, 2012

Volto, I would love to have them release a video compilation of this era. I truly think that The Worldwide Texas Tour show in Austin would be a HUGE seller! You gotta know Bill Hamm has it locked in a vault somewhere. Free WWTT!!!
    Twinrebzz

2. RE: Vintage Chevrolet Video from 1976

March 1, 2012

Lots of bands are putting out DVD's of "vintage" performances. I reckon it would be a great idea, and I would definitely buy it!!!
    Craigo

3. RE: Vintage Chevrolet Video from 1976

April 26, 2012

I was there that night at my first ZZ Top show. I was a 17 year old senior in high school living down the road from Landover's Capital Centre in Bladensburg, Maryland then!

Here is my edit... 2 points to make.

1, Landover and Largo are interchangeable names just to let ya know before someone tells me that I got the city name wrong (when I was a kid, we called that area Landover).

2. Every minute of every concert ever performed at Capital Centre beginning in December 1973 - was recorded while all of the performances were being shown closed circuit in the arena. Therefore, every moment of this concert and ALL of the concerts ever performed at Capital Centre over the years are ALL recorded. Check Abe Pollin's family (or will) (former owner of the Bullets, Capitals and the arena) for YOUR copy!!

4. RE: Vintage Chevrolet Video from 1976

April 27, 2012

Wow! how would you get in touch with these people?
    Twinrebzz

5. RE: Vintage Chevrolet Video from 1976

April 27, 2012

TWINREBZZ wrote:
    Wow! how would you get in touch with these people?
    Twinrebzz

Hi, That's an interesting question. Actually I was being facitious in stating that YOU or WE could get our 'own copies'. However, on the other hand, I just happen to know from growing up in that area that closed circuit video was both recorded and sent to all of the sky boxes and concession stands in the arena during the life of Capital Centre. So all concerts and basketball games and hockey games and every event ever held there was presumably recorded!

ZZ Top was a very, very early performer at Cap Centre appearing there in December 1973 - just after the venue first opened - during the Alice Cooper tour.

http://www.alicecooperechive.com/tourdates/images/1973-1974/1973-12-19-Ticket.jpg)

While I didn't see that show I did see this 1976 Worldwide Texas tour there, and also the 1981, and 1986 ZZ Top tours there.

Thus, not only was ZZ Top recorded during every performance in that building but ALL of the great acts of the 1970's and 80's (and 90s) that appeared there were also all recorded. For some reason, this 'Chevrolet' is the ONLY leaked video from this 1976 ZZ Top performance at Capital Centre that I have ever seen. But someone, somewhere has a treasure trove of great rock era concert performances stashed away!

BTW, Abe Pollin died just a couple of years ago. Ted Leonis bought his teams and MCI Center in downtown DC from his estate. Maybe he now owns the rights to the old Capital Centre videos. I do not know.

6. RE: Vintage Chevrolet Video from 1976

April 28, 2012

Hi StuartSlate-

Thanks for the information about the Capital Centre. It would be real intersting to see those shows from the early days.

Sr. Volto

7. RE: Vintage Chevrolet Video from 1976

April 28, 2012

This is awesome info. Makes you wonder what other recordings are out there, recorded at other venues that are buried in storage somewhere.

Thanks for taking the time to post this :)
    Craigo

8. Re: Vintage Chevrolet Video from 1976

August 9, 2012

That's Old school :)